Oh brother. Here we go again! There was an explosion and fire on a rig known as ‘Vermillion 380’ in the Gulf of Mexico. Early reports are that it’s not an active rig. And luckily, no one was killed. The rig is located about 90 miles south of Vermillion Bay, and it is owned by Mariner Energy (out of Houston). And the rig is There’s not a ton of information yet, but here are some links to news stories about the explosion:
- Coast Guard responding to rig fire Gulf of Mexico (nola.com)
- Gulf oil platform explodes, burning off La. coast (yahoo.com)
- Oil rig explodes in Gulf of Mexico (wafb.com)
- Offshore oil rig in Gulf of Mexico explodes: Coast Guard (theglobeandmail.com)
- Another Oil Rig Explodes in the Gulf of Mexico (theweeklyconstitutional.com)
UPDATE (9/2/2010 @ 4:30pm EST): Early reports said that the rig was Vermillion 398, but more recent reports all claim that the explosion and fire was on the Vermillion 380 rig.